What is an eTA?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through a Canada airport. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires. eTA holders can stay in Canada for up to 6 months on each visit. The eTA program's started to take effect on November 2016.

Eligible Countries and Territories

To apply for an eTA online through this website, you must hold a passport from one of the following countries or regions:

Andorra Australia Austria Bahamas Barbados Belgium
British citizen Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Chile Croatia Cyprus
Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Federal Republic of Germany
Greece Hong Kong * Hungary Iceland Ireland Israel
Italy Japan Republic of Korea Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania
Luxembourg Malta Mexico Monaco Netherlands New Zealand
Norway Papua New Guinea Poland Portugal Romania * Samoa
San Marino Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Spain
Sweden Switzerland USA(Permanent Residents) * United Arab Emirates Taiwan *  
  • * Persons who have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (United States Permanent Residents).
  • * Holder of a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
  • * Holder of an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number of the individual.
  • * Holder of a Romanian electronic passport only.
  • Canadian citizens and permanent residents including those who are also citizens of a visa-exempt country, are not eligible to apply for an eTA. Canadian permanent residents need to travel with a Canadian permanent resident card or PR travel document. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, must use a valid Canadian passport.
  • Former residents of Canada: Permanent resident status does not expire. If you once lived in Canada many years ago, you could still have PR status. If you don’t have a valid PR card, you have to apply for a PR travel document (PRTD) or give up your PR status and then apply for an eTA or visa.
  • U.S. permanent residents need an eTA to fly to Canada (as well as U.S. Green Card). They do not need an eTA if entering Canada by land or sea.
  • Students and temporary workers from eTA-required countries who received their student or work permit before August, 2015, and intend to travel from and return to Canada by air need an eTA.

What you need to know

  • To apply for an eTA online, you intend to visit for a short visit, business or tourist activity by air.
  • You must have your valid passport, email address and a credit card to complete the online application.
  • Most applicants get their eTA approval within minutes but some requests can take up to several days to process. It's best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.
  • You must be in good health and have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
  • The details you provide in your online eTA application need to be exactly the same as they appear in your passport and you must use the same passport that is linked to your online eTA application when you travel.
  • Once your application is approved, you will get eTA approval email. Make sure that the passport number included in the eTA email matches exactly the number in your passport.

eTA Conditions

  • Once your eTA is approved, it will be electronically linked to your passport.
  • You can enter Canada as many times as you want up to 5 years or until your passport expiry date, whichever is earlier.
  • If you get a new passport after getting an eTA, you need to apply for a new eTA.
  • Your eTA authorizes you to stay in Canada for up to six months (or until the date prescribed by a border services officer) at a time. You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.
  • An eTA doesn’t guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport or other documents.

What do I need to make an application?

You need your valid passport, email address and a credit card. We accept Master, Visa, Discover, JCB or Diners Club.

How long will it take to process my eTA application?

Applicants usually receive their authorization via email within minutes. However, some applicant can get a pending decision(under review status) and will mostly get an eTA within 12 hours. In such cases, more information or document is needed and It could sometimes take more than a week to process.
It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.

I travel with a minor. Does he / she need an eTA?

    Yes. All family members must submit separate applications. Even if your children travel on your passport, they will need an individual eTA application.

Do I have to print and carry my eTA with me when I travel?

No, you do not. eTA is electronically linked to your passport. You just need to present the passport when you check-in to your flight to Canada.

eTA Exemptions

  • Nationals of the United States. (Permanent Resident needs an eTA)
  • Travellers with a valid Canadian visa
  • Travellers with valid status in Canada (e.g. visitor, student or worker) who re-enters Canada after only visiting the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon.
  • French citizens who live in Saint Pierre and Miquelon and are flying directly to Canada from St. Pierre and Miquelon.
  • Foreign nationals who are passengers destined to, or coming from, the United States on a flight that stops in Canada solely to refuel and
    - have proper documents to enter the United States, or
    - were lawfully admitted to the United States.
  • Foreign nationals who are passengers on a flight that makes an unscheduled stop in Canada.
  • Foreign nationals who transit through a Canadian airport under the Transit Without Visa or ChinaTransit Program.
  • Flight crew, civil aviation inspectors, accident investigators who are or will be working while in Canada.
  • Members of Armed Forces (not including the civilian component of an armed forces) of a country designated under the Visiting Forces Act coming to Canada to carry out official duties.
  • Diplomats accredited by the Government of Canada.

Why use services?

We provide many value added services such as a free error checking system, group of applications, correction of mistakes and 24/7 customer support > See more