Electronic Travel Authorization

Foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries
who FLY to Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization


Prepare your passport,
email & a credit card

Fill out an
eTA application

the payment

Receive your eTA
by email


What is an eTA?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals FLYING to or transiting through Canada. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires. The eTA program's started to take effect on November 2016.

Eligible Countries and Territories

To apply for an eTA online through this website, you must hold a passport from one of the following countries or regions :

Andorra Australia Austria Bahamas Barbados Belgium
British citizen Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Chile Croatia Cyprus
Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Federal Republic of Germany
Greece Hong Kong * Hungary Iceland Ireland Israel
Italy Japan Republic of Korea Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania
Luxembourg Malta Mexico Monaco Netherlands New Zealand
Norway Papua New Guinea Poland Portugal Romania * Samoa
San Marino Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Spain
Sweden Switzerland USA(Permanent Residents) * United Arab Emirates Taiwan *  
  • * Persons who have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (United States Permanent Residents).
  • * Holder of a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
  • * Holder of an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number of the individual.
  • * Holder of a Romanian electronic passport only.
  • Canadian citizens and permanent residents including those who are also citizens of a visa-exempt country, are not eligible to apply for an eTA. Canadian permanent residents need to travel with a Canadian permanent resident card or PR travel document. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, must use a valid Canadian passport.
    Former residents of Canada: Permanent resident status does not expire. If you once lived in Canada many years ago, you could still have PR status. If you don’t have a valid PR card, you have to apply for a PR travel document (PRTD) or give up your PR status and then apply for an eTA or visa.
  • U.S. permanent residents need an eTA to fly to Canada (as well as U.S. Green Card). They do not need an eTA if entering Canada by land or sea.
  • Students and temporary workers from eTA-required countries who received their student or work permit before August, 2015, and intend to travel from and return to Canada by air need an eTA.

What you need to know

  • To apply for an eTA online, you intend to visit for a short visit, business or tourist activity by air.
  • You must have your valid passport, email address and a credit or debit card to complete the online application.
  • Most applicants get their eTA approval within minutes but some requests can take several days to process. It's best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.



If you have already submitted an application for one or more individuals on our website, you can check your application status and view the application details.
The following information is required to check the status of your application.

Last name
Passport Number


  Our services Canada Government
Group of applications YES NO
Error Checking System YES NO
Expert Review of Applications YES NO
Free Application Corrections YES NO
Application Self-Verification YES NO
Multiple Languages YES NO
24/7 Customer Service YES NO
Price per eTA Application $42 USD
(including CA$7 government fee)
$7 CAD